13 September, 2010

Fat's Where It's At

Been reading a ton of positive reviews on Line Prophet 100's just lately. Naturally, this has me itching for ski season! Most reviews have commended their versatility. I must say that I found them amazing on Utah powder, as well as Michigan groomers. Really the only place I've found them lacking was on rock-hard weeks old Michigan hardpack (out West they call it ice..). Tip softness just causes too much chatter.

The biggest surprise in reading reviews is how fat is the new normal in ski designs. I've had my Prophets for two seasons. At first they were totally unusual and sparked lots of conversation on lift rides with strangers. In fact, my K2 Public Enemies, a season older than the Prophets, did as well. The Public Enemies are 85mm underfoot and the Prophets 100mm. When I bought the Enemies, the replaced some Fischer RX9s that were maybe 65mm underfoot. Now it seems that many all-mountain skis are as 80-90mm.

I will say that the Prophets just look COOL. Beefy and solid. And the float the deliver, even in a small amount of powder is truly amazing. They make skiing the deep easy. That said, my deepest powder day was over 20" of fresh at Powder Mountain, Utah -- and it was on the Public Enemies! I wish I'd had the Prophets then!

-Sean-

No comments: