10 September, 2010

Surprise!

Picked up various reels, spools, etc. last week in preparation for steelhead season. I'm switching my Orvis BLA V over to be my single-hand reel for chuck-n-duck and indy fishing. I have Climax Zip Line on one spool, and Orvis Wonderline III Steelhead line on the other. Had to order a new spool from Orvis to do this.

I was checking things out and putting them away on Saturday when I found a little surprise. It would appear that Orvis has redesigned the BLA at some point in the three years since I've owned mine. The spool fits, but just free-spools and doesn't engage the drag. A closer look revealed a totally different design.

This was even news to the guys at the local Orvis shop. I don't think any of us knew about this redesign. So now we've got to sort out whether Orvis can get the older style spool or what I'll be doing. Fortunately, I'm unlikely to be doing any steelheading for a month or more. But, I'm glad I checked.

If you have one of these reels and need a spare spool, proceed with caution - or at least check the return policy!

-Sean-

No comments: