28 September, 2010

Groove On

Looks like tying is another of those things where you need to find your groove. Had some time to kill this morning and wanted to tie some alternative pheasant tail nymphs (on scud hooks I use for steelhead egg flies). Funny, but I couldn't tie a decent one to save my life!

On the upside, filled my box with eggs and caddis nymphs over the weekend. Felt nice to load up on stuff I tied! And, I've got enough left over to fill my Dad's request for some flies before his trip to the U.P. later this month. I have about 2-3 dozen eggs for him and a dozen or so caddis in various colors.

Been reviewing some steelhead books lately, getting ideas for flies to fill my boxes for Winter. I think next fly to learn are hare's ear nymphs. They sound productive and will be good to have in my box. Also found a reference to a Great Lakes stonefly that looks a lot like a caddis pattern I already know. Stones are a go-to for me, so I think I'll hop on tying up a dozen or so.

-Sean-

No comments: