29 September, 2010

Complex Equation

I now have all the pieces and parts to put together my switch rod setup for swinging flies to steelhead. Little did I know that there's a good bit more complexity to all this. But the more I read about this technique the more eager I am to give it a go - the idea of a slammin' take from a powerful fish like a steelhead completely charges me up.

For those not familiar with Skagit rigs, it goes something like this. In addition to a line that looks something like some sort of cartoonish licorice rope (seriously -- my 475 grain Rio Skagit Short is about 2-3x the diameter of a regular 8-weight fly line), you will likely use a cheater section that's a 2-1/2 to 7 foot piece of additional line. The cheater is used (I think) to adjust the actual amount of weight-forward line so your rod loads properly to execute a spey cast.

Then, in most cases you attach a length of sinking line (mine's T-14) to get the fly down to the fish. The length (I currently have 8' and 10') are determined by flow rate, depth, and time of year. This is the part I don't yet understand, but I'm guessing I'll figure it out on the water.

Onto this sink tip, goes a short, stout leader that can withstand the powerful takes that tend to happen with this style of fishing.

Of course, since I don't want to spend a fortune, there's some assembly required. You can buy sink tips with welded loops and leaders already nail-knotted on. But where's the fun in that? So in the coming days, I'll be affixing loops to T-14, then tying leaders onto the other end.

A lot of work, but based on the little taste I've had, it looks like a very cool way to fish. And, for Winter, I've got an indy set-up all ready to roll with 10-weight Rio Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead line on a Ross Momentum 5. So this 11' Temple Fork Outfitters Deer Creek Series could become my default year-rounder!

-Sean-

No comments: