11 October, 2010

Another Grand Brand

As I set-up my switch rod for steelhead season, I'm reminded of another great brand -- Rio fly lines. In some cases, I respect brands for their presentation, in others for their products, although the best blend both. In some cases, the products are far better than the brands (Temple Fork Outfitters), while in others the brand is better than the product (sorry Orvis...). Leaders like Rio and Simms nail it on both accounts.

I own a number of Rio lines for a variety of purposes. All are excellent products. The Rio Gold line on my 6-weight is just pure poetry. Easy to cast well, and just has a great feel. Same goes for the Selective Trout (now discontinued) on my 4-weight. I'm eager to get in some time on the Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead for nymphing and the Skagit Short on my switch.

Also, I respect Rio's breadth. They literally seem to have a line or product for virtually every application and sub-application. I've definitely seen this as I assemble a swinging rig. Innovative products like their MOW tips help make fishing a better experience for a wide range of anglers. Prefer to roll your own? T-11 and T-14 are available in 30' or 500' bulk rolls. Their braided loops are a perfect solution to easy rigging.

And, I love their brand. Their logo's well-suited and disctinctive, and print ads are recognizable, targeted, and effective. They even use social media, especially Facebook, very well (unlike many other outdoor marketers who seem to feel the need to be there, but don't quite know what to say).

Need a new fly line? Check Rio first. You won't be sorry.

-Sean-

No comments: