12 October, 2010

Yum

One of the reasons I hunt is that I enjoy cooking with wild game. I'm not interested in hunting for anything I wouldn't plan to eat. Thus far, that hasn't taken me into deer hunting, but all in good time since I love venison. But I've got some great dishes with pheasants, rabbits, and other small game. Funny, for the most part, I'm a catch-and-release fisherman.

Latest success is a pheasant and wild rice soup. This one's a perfect combo, as it uses the carcasses of two smoked pheasants (thanks to hunting buddy Andy for this idea). Simple and rustic, as most of my better dishes are. Nice smoky flavor, too. Apologies if this recipe isn't super-tight; that's sorta' how I roll in the kitchen. Ingredients are:

Two smoked pheasant carcasses (don't pick them too clean -- leave some meat)
Two whole pheasants
Water
1 cup sliced carrots
2 stalks celery diced
1 leek, trimmed and washed
1-1/2 cups wild rice
2 bay leaves
Seasonings of choice (I like sage and thyme)

Process goes something like this:
  1. Put smoked pheasant carcasses in stock pot and cover with water. If you believe in added value of some vegetables for stock, go for it  (ingredients above are for later)
  2. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook uncovered for an hour or two until all meat falls from the bone.
  3. Strain stock using colander into crock pot. Reserve bones to cool. Then pick meat into crock pot.
  4. Remove meat from fresh pheasants and cut into small pieces. Put them in a plastic bag with some seasoned flour and shake.
  5. Brown pheasant in pan with olive oil until all sides are golden brown. Transfer to crock pot. Deglaze pan with 1/4 cup white wine to get all the tasty browned bits and add to the crock pot.
  6. In same pan, with olive oil, cook vegetables until they begin to soften. Add to crock pot.
  7. Add spices, per your preference and set crock pot to high.
  8. After 2-3 hours, add wild rice.
  9. Cook 2-3 more hours (or until you get hungry!) and serve.
Freezes well, makes great leftovers for lunches. Bon appetit!

-Sean-

No comments: