08 November, 2010

Dress for Success

Cold weather's here, with more on the way soon. So it seems like a good time to talk about some of my favorite gear for staying warm and dry. If you wnat to play outside, it takes some extra planning - and gear.

Simms G4 GoreTex Jacket
Getting wet is the fastest way to get cold and unhappy. This jacket is my go-to for fishing. It keeps you bone-dry in the most pouring rains, cuts the wind, and provides that critical outer face against the weather. It's also got about 847 pockets so there's a place to keep most everything. In fact, for Winter steelheading, I generally switch my gear over and just use it as a walking tacklebox.  One key favorite is the hood -- seems cut perfectly and easy to raise or lower. A small detail, but one that matters on the water. Expensive. And worth EVERY penny.

Black Diamond Mercury Mitt
Michigan delivers some brutal ski days. My coldest day out last year started with temps at 3 degrees. I don't think it cracked the single digits at all that day. Fortunately last year was the season I gave in to mittens. I normally ski in gloves for the dexterity, but on those days with frosty temps and high winds, the mitten is the perfect solution. I hunted for these for a while and there are a suprising range of mitten configurations and materials. Like all of Black Diamond's products, these were clearly designed by a skier.

Browning Hells Canyon Jacket
I bought this one on a whim. I was rolling North to do some fishing last Fall and felt like I wouldn't have the right layers to be warm on the chilly mornings before sunrise. It's proven to be my most versatile all-around jacket. It's impervious to wind, neoprene wrist cuffs enable you to snug it down tight, and it's got pockets in all the right places. It's even fairly water-resistant. The best surprise is the warmth. Most other windproof fleece gives up some warmth. Not this one. Toasty! Also, surprisingly affordable.

UnderArmour ColdGear Turtleneck
This is an older model that I'm not sure even exists in their line-up now. Probably replaced by something with far more tech features, but I love it. This item is the base layer of choice for staying warm. Great wicking properties ensure that even if things heat up you stay dry. In my experience, an effective base layer it critical to staying comfortable.

Simm RiverTek Bottom
Not just for cold weather, I basically use these under waders year-round. Stirrups are a great feature that keeps them put with wading boots. Mid-weight makes them ideal for a wide range of conditions. I fish in these until the hottest part of the summer. I should probably get a second pair to rotate in, but mine show virtually no wear.

Mountain Hardwear Sub-Zero Down Jacket
It's not many things (stylish, waterproof, cheap...) but it is one and that's WARM. Really, really warm. When the real January polar temps roll in, I reach for this one. From the instant you put it on, you're warm. Plus, it's so light and fluffy, it feels like not wearing a jacket. Most puffy's aren't very durable, but heavier Cordura on the shoulders seem to make this one a bit more rugged than most.

-Sean-

No comments: