04 November, 2010

Keep Your Powder Dry (and warm)

I have boots that are very warm. I have boots that are very dry. What I lacked were boots that were both. My duck hunting excursion finally convinced me I needed to change that. Everything was comfy, dry, and toasty -- except my feet which were dry but COLD. And cold feet suck. I've found that's the most critical element to being comfortable in the outdoors. Once your feet get cold, you're miserable.

Fortunately, the onset of deer hunting season is the perfect time to pick such things up. It seems every major retailer has something on sale. I've found Dunhams to be a solid source for many pieces of outdoor gear. So last night I scored a pair of Columbia Scrape insulated rubber boots for $50 off. I looked at more expensive Muck, LaCrosse, and Irish Setter boots, but as is often the case with the Columbia Performance Hunting Gear line, the extra cost didn't seem to be warranted. The boots have a nicely lugged sole, a supportive arch/instep, and seem well-constructed. For my purposes, I think they'll be more than adequate.

I haven't even worn them, and these seem like one of the best ideas in a long time. Should be perfect for boat-based Winter steelhead fishing, duck hunting, even just to pull on and snowblow the drive!

-Sean-

No comments: