15 November, 2010

Pin to Win

Did a long weekend chasing Fall steelhead with Dad in the Central UP this past weekend. Though we try to mix it up, the Manistique river is our default setting for chromers. It consistently fishes well, we both know a bunch of good spots, and it's easy to access.

However, we had one challenge -- the dam is WIDE open just now. Water flows were over 1,300 CFS and have been as high as 2,000 in the past week. The current is just blasting through. This meant we needed to do some thought on tactics, and locations. We principally worked one area as it had some good holes and slower flows. I did some swinging, with one strike, but no deals closed.

I hear lots of flack about pinning, but I love mine. There's just some water where it's the only way to fly. Purists will scream, "it's not fly fishing" but most of those people only fish May-Aug with dry flies on tiny little sticks. C'mon out and and fish Winter chrome with me, pansy. Everything below the running line is fly gear. From the indicator down, I run a very similar rig on my pin to what I run attached to a fly line on an indy rig.

In high water and long runs the pin is awesome. Super long drifts, and reliable casting make it idea. A 13' 6" rod means easy repositioning and the ability to stay tight to the indicator no matter the conditions. But that same long rod makes solo landings a little tricky!

Only complaint is that I get cold pinning. I tend to rest my hand on the back side of the reel. Cold stainless steel plate chills your hands pretty fast. May be time for the Hillbilly Heatilator solution with some cork or neoprene!

-Sean-

No comments: