16 November, 2010

Just in Case

On my first outing with the new switch rig, I discovered something key. At 11' long, this rod doesn't fit in my Rod Loft in the Element. Hmmm. And, I love to be able to quickly transport a rigged (or semi-rigged) rod so I don't have to spend a ton of time standing riverside tying knots.

A visit to my local fly shop and some time on Google reveal, there aren't a lot of case solutions. Two-piece cases are too long, and most four-piece are too short. Plus, what to do about the butt section? Enter the Sage Switch Rod/Reel Case. Looked pretty good. Naturally, no Sage dealers near me to look at one. Fortunately, I'm connected to the owner of Streamside Anglers through Facebook (nice guy with lots of great stuff in-stock BTW, highly recommended).

This case completely exceeds my expectations. Fits my rod PERFECTLY. And unlike many other rod/reel cases includes dividers to protect each section. Each divider has Velcro connectors to ensure everything stays put. The rod tube overall is a bit larger in diameter to ensure a good fit. And the long reel pouch accomodates the switch rod butt. Best of all, the price is very reasonable.

Now my switch rod is in one easy-to-transport, protective case. I couldn't be happier. I think I'll need to investigate other Sage luggage and cases. Nice stuff!

-Sean-

No comments: