30 November, 2010

Small Giants

Great column in this month's Ski magazine by Warren Miller on the virtues of small ski areas. I've long been a fan of the smaller ski areas for a broad range of reasons. They're friendly, tend to focus on skiing over ammenities, and usually less pricey. Sure, the lodging's not Michelin-rated, but that's really not what I'm there for.

In Michigan, I love Caberfae Peaks and have for years. Family-owned and with super-friendly locals it's a great place to ski. Plus, it's situated just far enough from Lake Michigan to get hammered with some tasty lake effect snow. Good terrain with a mix of skill levels. And the people I meet are just great. Never been a fan of the color-coordinated, bitching-about-everything (lift lines, food, etc.) set at places like Boyne. Yes, I do know some great serious skiers who regularly visit Boyne, but I also meet more poser assholes who talk up the place. Not so Caberfae. Everything from the woman on 110mm powder boards skiing trees to the newbie guy in full deer hunting camo. And all friendly as can be. An added bonus? My favorite Winter steelhead fishing waters are within a 30 mile radius. Can't ski? Fish!

Out West, I found the same love of the local place returning. My first couple of years I skied mostly the Park City areas. While I enjoyed them, lift lines are long, lift tickets are expensive, and there seemed to be a lot of people there to "be seen". On the advice of a SLC local, I paid a visit to Solitude. Ahhhhhh, now that's more like it. In addition to some great terrain, NO CROWDS. Since then, I've probably skied a dozen days there -- it's become a must-visit in Utah. A couple of years back, I ventured further afield to Snowbasin and Powder Mountain (at right), up near Ogden. Both are equally exceptional and totally different. Snowbasin benefitted from a complete re-do for the SLC Olympics and is super-posh. The dining makes Deer Valley look like a Denny's. And the skiing is excellent. A former local area all grown up. At the other end of the spectrum is PowMow. What a great local place! Zero ambiance -- I think Caberfae might have more! But, the largest skiable acreage in Utah. And it's quality terrain. I've only skied one day, but I'll be back!

So, support the little guy -- so we can keep them around. Whether it's Wilmot Mountain in southern Wisconsin, or Snowsnake in Harrison, Michigan there's some great skiing and good fun to be had with the locals!

-Sean-

No comments: