01 December, 2010

Schwinnnnggggg!

I am lovin' tying steelhead streamers for swinging! My first few were interesting. If they even attract a strike, I expect them to self-destruct. But after watching Kevin Feenstra's excellent Searching for Steelhead DVD again and paying close attention to the tying sections, I feel much better prepared.

Here's my latest attempt. A little marabou in the tail for motion, some Schlappen in the body for bulk, and a whole bunch of flash to attract the playa'. Lead eyes help me get down to the sulking Winter fish.

A little tying advice from a knowledgeable buddy helped me focus on proportions. I think my early attempts, in addition to lacking durability, didn't have the profile of a baitfish. This one's much closer to the right distribution of bulk.

For now I've been tying on some Daiichi 1750's I had around. But several sharp tyers have steered me to the 2461. Now I just need to find some, as my usual resources don't seem to stock them.

One observation -- tying streamers is a MESS! When I get done it seems like I have flash and feather bits everywhere. But what a blast. After a Fall tying up boatloads of eggs and nymphs tying these big beasts is just a great time!

No comments: