22 December, 2010

Beginner's Luck

I have a number of friends who've told me over the past year that they'd love to learn to fly fish. I'm sure the "River Runs Through It" mythology is part of it for some. For others they've done some baitfishing and found it dull. Still others are outdoorsmen in other realms, but haven't wet a fly line.

For these folks, I'll be periodically doing some entries on how to get started. Fly fishing can be intimidating, at least partially due to the elitist "if you didn't catch it on the dry fly it doesn't count". Sure, you CAN spend a fortune on gear, but it's not necessary to enjoy yourself. The big money seems to happen after the addiction takes hold. For some it's a pleasant pastime. For the rest of us it can become a bit obsessive (there, I admitted it...).

So, if you've ever wanted pass a pleasant summer evening thigh-deep in a storied trout stream elegantly flicking a fake bug to a wiley trout, maybe I can help. Stay tuned.

-Sean-

No comments: