21 December, 2010

White Christmas

Well, now that we're within a week the local weather forecasters have shifted from bemoaning wintry weather to the frantic wish for a White Christmas. I find that incredibly amusing, especially as someone who embraces Winter. But with some decent snow on the ground locally, a couple inches on the way this week, and continued cold temps it looks like it will happen.

This year I've also noticed more people embracing the snow. I've never understood the Winter Whiners. You live in the Upper Midwest. It snows here. It has for eons. And no matter how much you bellyache about it, that won't change. But this year I've heard more from the camp who loves that fresh just-frosted feel of a new snowfall. Maybe this is an upside of the economic collapse in Michigan? Perhaps the Winter Whiners all finally bailed out and what's left are those of us who love Michigan for its four seasons.

One of my other passions (obsessions?) are exterior Christmas Lights. And the new snow adds just the right touch to my Holiday display. Somehow the nearly 2,000 LEDs on my house just don't quite look right without the white stuff. But all is well this season with consistent snow since a few days after I finished putting up lights.

Whatever it is that makes you happy this Holiday, I encourage you to get out and do it! For me, I'm hoping to finally get in some skiing, perhaps wet a line in search of steel, and keep tying streamers. Enjoy the season!

-Sean-

No comments: