14 December, 2010

Chromin'

Great day on the Manistee river with Dad and Jon Ray on Friday! I love Winter steelheading. Being outside in the snow and the cold is so rejuvenating, especially for an office-dweller. 6" of snow earlier in the week, plus a couple more overnight transformed the bleak Fall landscape of Michigan into a Winter Wonderland.

Although I brought the switch rod along for swinging, on Jon's counsel it stayed in the case. Weather had been cold all week (after a very warm Fall) and one swing guy and one bobber guy in a boat don't mix well. So, we spent the day float fishing.

What was amazing was the subtlety of the strike. This is the toughest period of the season. With the sudden drop in temperature, the fish become more tentative. Once cooler temps have been around a while, things will stabilize and return to normal as they adjust to Winter conditions. But for now, a simple "dink" in the float's drift might be all you see of a take. I'm sure we missed several.

But for this time of year, we did really well. Went 3 for 6. Dad won the standing bet with First, Most, and Biggest fish. Here's a shot with the largest of the day -- our day-ender in fact. Always go out on a high note.

I got a nice 7-8" hen with GORGEOUS Winter colors. That beautiful iridescent band of purple/red. Funny thing was once we got her netted, I didn't feel the need for a photo. I'd seen her, as had Jon and Dad. That was all the evidence I needed. Better to give her a gentle release to fight another day.

And the best part may have been our return to the launch. The only vehicles in the parking lot were mine and Jon's truck. That's so much of what I love about Winter fishing. No crowds. It's why I can readily skip the Fall Salmon runs. Not a fan of combat fishing, where there's always somebody in your favorite spots.

Plans are already forming for a January trip and I can't wait!

-Sean-

No comments: