13 December, 2010

Pin to Win

I've managed to do a few steelhead days this Fall/Winter with my center pin set-up. It's proven a great way to fish in many situations. On my UP trip the water levels were HUGE. I spent most of my time alternating between swinging and pinning. I tried a standard indy rig a few times and couldn't get any sort of reasonable drift. All that current grabbed the fat line and dragged all my gear every which way. With the pin, I could readily cast the distance I needed, set-up a nice drift and slide right through the hole in a deadly fashion. On the other hand, the Manistee river in Michigan's NW Lower Peninsula is a perfect place for LOOOOONG drifts. And that's what the pin does so well.

But for me the cool part is the drag-free connection to a powerful fish. With the pin reel it's all you applying drag to slow a thrashing steelhead. Definitely adds a nice Man Versus Fish element to it that I enjoy. My Raven Matix reel is a great tool. I especially like the ergonomics. The width is perfect for palming the reel, and the handles are just the right size and placement for easy access without tangles and hitting them at the wrong time.

I also love the longer 13' 6" float rod. Mends are simple. Line control is easy. Only challenge is hook sets way back in the drift. My rod's a Raven IM6. Given that I seem to like this style a lot, I may need to look at the IM8 or IM9 rods that have a little more backbone for hooksets at some point. But right now, I'm just having so much fun with this one!

Whatever your feelings about pinning (there seem to be many detractors) I love mine. Fly fishing purists be damned -- my pin is every bit fly fishing. Certainly as much as chuck n' duck is. The rig I fish on my pin is nearly identical to what I fish Indy style on a fly line.

If you haven't tried pinning, give it a shot. It's a blast! Not for every situation, but in some there's nothing like it!

-Sean-

No comments: