06 January, 2011

Carry A Big Stick

With a little more time on the water, I am loving fishing a switch rod. Until last week's outing I'd only swung with it using a Skagit line, but I got to put in some time running indicators on the PM. Sweet!!!

I ended up with not one, but two switch rods. It's a long story. But now I have both a TFO Deer Creek, and a switch offering from my personal favorite, Scott. There were lots of reasons driving that decision that I'll get into in another post highlighting the differences.

The benefits of a switch rod for swinging are obvious -- more stick to move a larger line, a larger arc, etc. Where the switch is too cool is line management when fishing the float. That extra 2' over a "standard" nine-footer makes a phenomonal difference. Effective line mends that clean up presentation, without altering drift are super simple. Let the bobber drift until it's roughly across stream, mend, and then drift it out. In a river like the PM with its short, steep holes where getting set-up correctly quickly is critical this is outstanding.

But I found another unexpected benefit. Winter wade fishing takes a good bit out of you. Just the calories expended and extra effort in cold conditions means that by day's end, you're fairly tired. With a two-handed rod, when you need that extra little bit in your cast, simply grab that lower handle with your non-casting hand and give it a little snap. Boom. You're covering lots of water with less physical effort. Super cool.

Sadly, I can't yet speak to the switch's fish-fighting abilities on indy -- I missed couple takes, but no solid hook-ups. However, I did get a fish on the swing last Fall and found the switch had some great backbone for manhandling a pissed off 8# male!

If you're a Winter steelheader who hasn't given a switch rod a few casts, try it out. I think you'll like it.

-Sean-

No comments: