05 January, 2011

Frosty Wheels

I've had the odd itch for some cycling lately. Especially curious due to my feelings about riding in the cold -- I won't do it. While I'm more than willing to stand waist-deep in a river in January all day, I'm an absolute wuss on the bike. If it's below 50 degrees, forget it.

But somehow everytime I pass my road bike hanging in the basement, there's that little pang of, "Can't wait to ride...". I have no clue what's fueling it. We're in the throes of Winter here in Michigan (well, OK, except for the New Year's Eve warm-up). It's time for some of my faves -- Winter steelheading, skiing, and small game hunting.

This is a positive sign, however. Last season road riding never really took hold for me. And my overall fitness (and waistline) suffered for it. I hate gyms, so my best opportunities for a good workout happen when I can integrate a calorie-burning aerobic exercise session into my outdoor pursuits. Riding seems to be very much a habitually based activity and it just never clicked last year. Too bad, as in previous seasons I've been able to average 75-100 miles per week. Hoping to re-connect with that level this year. Meanwhile, the latest issue of Bicycling is in my reading pile. I can drool over the Scott CR-1 full carbon object of my affections...

-Sean-

No comments: