25 February, 2011

CLA all the Way

The Ross CLA series of reels has quickly become a standard in my fly fishing quiver. As of now I have two CLA 3's - one with a standard fly line and the other with a 200 grain sink tip for streamer fishing. On my lightl line dry fly I've got a CLA 1.5. All great reels, especially at the price. Fully machined, very nice finish. Plus they're super-smooth with a nice start-up on the drag.

When I acquired my Scott ARC 1287-3 spey rod, the logical choice was a CLA 6. I'm curious how the drag mechanism is different from the smaller reels as I've not taken one apart. So, now one's on the way. Should be fun to have a full spey set-up!

This is not to say I don't love both of my Momentum's. But that's a whole different price point and the only reason I own these reels is because I scored tremendous bargains. I'd love a Momentum LT 6 for the spey rod, but at $500+ that won't be happening.

If you're looking for a great mid-priced reel, I heartily recommend a look at the CLA series from Ross.

-Sean-

No comments: