09 February, 2011

February Fun

This month is perhaps my favorite part of my favorite season. By February, the snowpack is as deep as it's likely to get in the Midwest. A little warm-up isn't going to turn everything into a sloppy grey mess. The skiing's consistently good. The fish have settled into their Winter program, and if not active, are at least consistent. A brief warm-up can turn on the streamer bite.

It's a time to embrace all things Winter. But at the same time, you get that glimpse of the promise of Spring. A warm day or two here and there, a south wind. Days are finally feeling a bit longer. For me, it's my favorite time within my favorite season. This time of year I'm faced with making choices for how to spend my spare time. Fish? Ski? Snowshoe? Tie flies? Take a class? Shoot handguns indoors? And more.

January can be brutally bleak, March brings the entry of Spring. Neither is the majesty of Winter in Michigan that February delivers. Sad it's only 28 days...

-Sean-

No comments: