10 February, 2011

Tie One On

Took part in Schultz Outfitter's new Bar Flies series last night. Each week they've invited clients and friends to a local watering hole and a guest tyer teaches new patterns. Last night it was Aaron Wiley, Eirik Vitso, and Mike Schultz. What a fun way to spend a February evening! I got to tie three new patterns with a helpful eye only available. Last night's included a sculpin, a popper, and a crayfish pattern. And with Bell's Two Hearted on draft, a recipe for a perfect night.

I'm always amazed at how much I can learn from a good tyer. Something as simple as twisting a feather while palmering can make the difference between hackles that lay back properly and a full-on mess. By evening's end I'd already picked up several good pointers. As a bonus, I came home with three new patterns and recipes for each.

I've definitely figured out my preferences. Tying eggs for steelhead is a given -- cheap, able to adapt size and colors for the conditions I fish or expect to. I also tie a lot of nymphs including green caddis, pheasant tail, and hare's ears. Great as they're workable for both steelhead and trout. And I've been playing around wth big, gaudy, swimmy steelhead streamers for swinging. But I've arrived at the conclusion I'm just not that interested in dry flies. With pricey materials, small hooks, and fussy, multi-step processes, dries don't do much for me. That's one category I'll continue to buy.

My favorite quote of the night? "Ugly flies catch fish". As my flies aren't always the prettiest, I was happy to hear this from a seasoned guide! Nice idea for educational series, guys!

-Sean-

No comments: