11 February, 2011

Two Hands on the Wheel

Two handed fly rods rock. Even though I've only gotten in a few outings, I can already see the benefits. The longer rod improves line control, but it's the casting efficiency I love. When loaded properly, that LOOOOOONNNG cast requires so little caster energy. Plus, there's nothing like the beauty and grace of a good spey caster. It's a style of fly fishing I could watch all day - poetry in motion.

So, the switch rods will inevitably lead to full-on spey rods. I can see that coming. Longer casts, bigger water.

What I lack is form. I have one or two basic casts, but I'm very limited in my repertoire. I've found the river position, current flow, wind, and other factors all impact cast selection. Fortunately, I've signed up for a one-day spey school this Summer with casting guru Will Turek. Can't wait to get a more solid foundation before I develop bad habits.

Fly fishing is truly an amazing pastime. So much to learn, so many opportunities for growth.

-Sean-

No comments: