16 February, 2011

Spey to Play

As expected, fishing the switch rod has gotten me to thinking about a full-on spey rod. Just when I thought I was done. And then I stumbled on a deal on a gently used Scott ARC 12' 8" spey rod with a Rio Skagit line included. After doing a little reading I find out this rod is extremely well-regarded.

There's something really cool about spey fishing. It's like the first time you see a really good telemark skier. It's all power and grace.

It's not surprising. From the first time I saw someone belt out a long, beautiful cast with a spey rod it got my attention and somehow touched my soul. Just a beautiful way to fish on big water. Like so many things, it's all about proper form. Watching a gifted spey caster is just a beautiful moment. A few accelerating movements, a quick flip of redirection and BAM that line's 85 feet over THERE.

Much like centerpin fishing, this is just a super-efficient way to cover water. It'll be interesting to see if I can learn to put the brakes on when needed. That's my main issue with the centerpine. I can bang out some pretty long casts - into the trees, the opposite bank, whatever gets in my way. With a 550 grain Skagit line on and some momentum, I'd imagine shortening up may be difficult. But that's what I have my switch rod for!

Can't wait to get the new stick out on the Manistee, Manistique, or some other big waters and see what it can do. Report will follow soon.

-Sean-

No comments: