17 February, 2011

Product Review: Simms Windstopper Softshell Hoody

I love fleece. It's comfy, warm, wicks moisture, and a great insulating layer for all but the coldest conditions. But, it sucks in windy conditions. Not only does wind go straight through it, I think it somehow gathers more velocity. Don't ask my how that's possible.

Enter windproof fleece. I've had a The North Face windproof fleece for a few years, as well as a camo Browning Hell's Canyon jacket. Both have served me well. I'm especially impressed with the Hell's Canyon. Warmer than most windproof fleeces, which often give up some warmth over standard Polartec.

But my latest addition absolutely delivers. For some time I've wanted a Simms Windstopper Softshell Hoody. Regular readers will know I'm a huge fan of Simms products for their quality and functionality. But, they're not cheap. I've finally picked up one of these outstanding jackets, and I'm glad I did.

The fit is the first thing I noticed. Roomy, but not overly so. Plenty of shoulder room for casting, including the more active style of spey.

Quality is typical Simms; that is -- exceptional. No missed stitches, waterproof zippers, and nice backing behind the main zipper to protect from the wind. And, a GREAT hood design you can actually wear.

So far, performance has been outstanding. It's lightweight, but decently warm. Stops wind dead. All this in a non-bulky package.

Bar none, the best fleece garment I've found. Plus it actually looks fairly stylish (unlike the Hell's Canyon) so wearing it at places other than a deserted stretch of steelhead water is possible. Bottom line? Not cheap, and worth every penny.

-Sean-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi thanks for the review is this product waterproof