18 February, 2011

Duh-OH!

I love those moments when something you never quite grasped became immediately clear. It's like a bolt of knowledge came from the heavens. I call it the "Ah-HA! Moment". In some cases, it's better termed "Duh-OH!" (said in your best Homer Simpson voice). I had one this week.

When I bought my Renzetti Traveler tying vise, I was told I needed the materials clip, too. At this point I know how to tie (poorly) all of two flies. So, I just do as I'm told and buy it. Fast forward a year. The little clip and spring have been hanging on the arm of my vise. Every once in a while I look at the thing and wonder how the heck you use it. Do you lift the spring and slip the material under it? That seems cumbersome, at best.

Wednesday night I'm at Schultz Outfitters "Bar Flies" tying class and the demo tier looks at my vise and says, "Use your materials clip to hold that in place." I shoot back a puzzled look and do my best confused-dog-head-tilt. So he shows me. You just pull longer materials down into the spring. And VOILA -- they stay there. At which point, I feel like a complete dumb a$$.

I sure will find tying streamers easier now! All that flash chaos will stay put.

-Sean-

No comments: