13 April, 2011

Fly Flicks

If the Fly Fishing Film Tour is coming to a city near you, snag a ticket. Even if you don't fly fish, the cinematography, settings, stories, and music are a fun evening. From the opening sequence chasing Winter redfish in Louisiana, to a trek with hardcore smallmouth enthusiasts in Wisconsin, every one of these short movies was filled with enjoyment.

The F3T did crystallize one thing for me - this fly fishing thing is a lifetime of learning and opportunity. Chasing fish on a fly is just a different way to look at the world. Can I get this species in this setting to eat a fly? Can I learn how to do it better? Do I live for the challenge? Or do I need the instant gratification of bait fishing. What was interested to me was that all of the fanatics profiled didn't look down on bait, rather these are individuals who get a charge out of succeeding at doing something the hard way. I have a ton of respect for that outlook. Sure, I could pull plugs or run spawn and catch lots of steelhead. But it's SO much more fulfilling to figure out how to get a charged up fish to eat a piece of lint on a hook, or a conglomeration of feathers and tinsel on the end of a piece of sinking line.

Check it out. You'll be glad you did.

-Sean-

No comments: