07 April, 2011

Spey Play

Finally, I have all the components of my two-handed spey rig. My reel arrived a couple of weeks back, but I haven't had time to get it spooled up with the line. Hoping I can get that done before I head to the UP later next week. While it's not really swinging season, I am eager to experiment with laying out some casts. I've done enough with my switch rod over the Fall and Winter to feel like I have some basics down.

For those not familiar, I picked up a classic Scott ARC-1287-3 rod (12"8" in 7 weight). To this I added a Ross CLA 6 reel. I'll be spooling it up with Rio Skagit in 500 grain. From all that I've read, this rig should throw some sweet casts. Eager to get in the Manistique river and belt a few out. I've signed up for a spey school this summer, so hopefully by next Fall I'll have some skills.

-Sean-

4 comments:

Wick said...

I just dug mine out. Bought it about 5 years ago, never been cast. That will change this fall!

Unknown said...

Hi, I've been searching for a Scott Arc 1287/3 for some time - would either of you be interested in selling yours. Just let me know!

Cheers,

Robin

Unknown said...

Hi, I've been searching for a Scott Arc 1287 for some time, and was just wondering if either of you might be interested in selling yours? Just let me know!

many thanks in advance,

Robin

Sean Hickey said...

Robin -- sorry, but the friend I bought it from sold it to me on one condition. I could only sell it if it was going back to him! No matter, I've no plans to part with this sweet stick.