06 April, 2011

It's In the Bag

My Steelhead Alley trip illustrated a need for a different sort of bag - a backpack. I've used an older REI backpack on boat trips for a couple of years now. A great way to organize chaos. But Ohio was my first time using a backpack to hike in and cover ground. Unfortunately, the REI bag quickly proved a failure. While it holds a ton, a lack of any pockets or dividers sent me digging to the bottom every time I needed something. Plus I started with a centerpin, but carried a fly rod for smaller waters. Sticking the rod tube in the outside water bottle pockets was quickly destined for failure.

I love the Simms Dry Creek Day Pack, I'm not investing $130 in another bag. If I were willing to spend that kind of cash, that's the bag I'd buy. But, fortunately I scored a lightly used Orvis Safe Passage Angler's Back Pack at a great price. Time will tell, but this pack seems MUCH more functional. Several pockets will enable me to keep a jacket separated from fly boxes, tippet, tools, and my lunch! Well-designed rod straps on both sides makes it easy to carry a spare rod (for example if I want to fish dries and nymphs without heading back to the truck to swap rods). As a bonus, the pack is compatible with a hydration bladder. The straps and back of the pack have a nice system designed for good airflow -- a great feature for hot days! Plus, it's got a nice carrying system for a net. Definitely a good investment. If you're looking for a pack, Orvis has them on sale for $99 which seems like a good deal.

-Sean-

No comments: