29 April, 2011

Ham n' Eggs

Just when I thought I had my egg tying program down, I find a whole new world. I've been tying round eggs and nuke eggs using primarily McFly Foam. I've gotten very proficient at making perfectly shaped and sized eggs in a wide range of colors efficiently.

But, I've been mostly tying for Fall conditions. This Spring I've been exploring clown eggs as a solution for all the high water we've had in the Midwest this year. On a recent trip with Brad Petzke he turned me on to the clown egg pattern from Hawkins Outfitters. Now I'm bulking up my tying materials stock with yarn, which makes much better rag eggs than the foam. And after tying up a couple of dozen I'm getting very fast and with great quality results.

My last steelhead trip was on a blown-out day on the Pere Marquette where nothing was working. Hoping to get in one more trip this Spring and hope to prove these new flies effectiveness! Unfortunately, if they do work it will benefit me next Spring. For now, getting ready for trout on streamers and upcoming smallmouth season.

-Sean-

No comments: