27 April, 2011

Pedal to the Metal

OMG, a blog entry not about fly fishing? Seriously? Yup.

Now that temps are warming I'm starting to think more seriously about my bikes. Up first is my mountain bike. Regular readers will know this ride is a SE BM Flyer single-speed 29er with wheels built by Steve Sauter of Great Lakes Cycle and Fitness, along with a collection of other sweet parts including a White Industries Eno Eccentric rear hub and  Avid BB-7 disc brakes.

My plan for this season was to replace the stock house-brand cranks with something more rugged (and less creaky!). Courtesy of my buddy Josh, I scored some gently used Profile BMX cranks. As the rest of this mountain bike is really just and overgrown BMXer, why not use the best of the breed? These welded tubular cranks are bulletproof. The 48-spline connection means a precise fit and indestructible performance. The stock cranks are 175mm and these are 165mm. I'll give up a little in taller gearing, but will gain some much-needed pedal clearance.

Dropped the bike off today so they can order me the appropriate bottom bracket. I think I'll have them do the install as this seems like an area where my dated bike mechanic skills could enable me to destroy some pricey gear. The fit of arm to spline is like nothing I've ever seen - redefining close-tolerance!

Eager to get this mod made and out there. With that, I'll be done for a while until it's time for new tires. Or, if I stumble on a nice suspension front fork... 

-Sean-

No comments: