23 May, 2011

Bomb Proof

Well, the mountain bike is now absolutely bomb proof. Thanks to my buddy Josh for a pair of nice Profile cranks from his stock. If you haven't checked these out, they're sweet. The 48-tooth spline fits at a level of precision that's truly astounding. Just to illustrate the fit - there's no pinch bolt! A simple end bolt into the spline does it all. Wow.

I did have to buy a Profile bottom bracket, but much like the cranks, it's bomb proof. Fully sealed and just a clear improvement over the generic stock BB.

This is a key upgrade that I've considered for a while, but held off due to expense. With Josh's help, that equation changed. The stock house-brand crankset seems to have been a core issue. Intermittent creaking and clunking have greatly shaken my confidence in this ride. Years as a bike mechanic have made me incredibly intolerant of random noises. Another benefit is that these cranks are a bit shorter than the stock ones. While this means I raise the gearing slightly, it gives me a noticeable increase in ground clearance. Having had a couple of near misses, this will be a nice change.

Now if it would stop raining for long enough for the trails to dry our even a little, that would be great!

-Sean-

No comments: