15 June, 2011

Product Review: Simms G4 Jacket

I'm in my third season with my Simms G4 Pro jacket, so I thought a long-term review might be warranted. When you spend a lot of time outdoors, you end up with a lot of jackets. Of all that I own, my G4 is probably the most reliable and versatile.

For me performance is first and foremost when considering outerwear. So far, this jacket has been there for me in many situations, like:
  • 8 solid hours of driving rain trout fishing in Michigan's UP; without a single leak.
  • Man full days of Winter steelheading in all conditions from sun to snow squalls.
  • Two days fishing during a period of record low-pressures that sustained 30mph winds with gusts up to 60 mph.
  • Three days of temps in the 30's, sustained winds, and snow, sleet, and rain chasing steelhead in the UP.
  • And more...
This jacket has taken everything I can throw at it - wind, rain, snow, sleet - and it looks like new. And it's become my go-to when the weather turns ugly.

Like all Simms products it's clear that the G4 was designed by people who fish. Tons of easily accessible pockets make it easy to carry a wide range of gear for Winter steelheading without the bulk of a vest. Fleece lined handwarmer pockets offer cold fingers a break when you need a quick warm-up. The hood is has the best ergonomics of any I've encountered - fits easily over a hat, but not bulky as some. Two built-in retractors hold nippers and other tools at the ready. One cool extra touch are two magnets just below the retractors that hold metal tools steady. The huge pocket on the back has a shock cord attached to the zipper for easy access without removing the jacket.

As with many Simms products, it comes with a serious price tag. And it's worth every cent.

No comments: