13 June, 2011

Dusting off the Cobwebs

Finally got my road bike out for the season's first ride on Saturday. Weather, work, and other commitments have kept me off the road so far this Spring.

The first outing is alway interesting. You never know whether it will be 5 miles of torture, or an easy 20. A lack of consistent exercise this Winter and a late start had me anticipating the former. To my pleasant surprise, it quickly became the latter.

What I find fascinating is that I know in that first mile how the ride will progress. If I'm dragging ass, I know I'll either cut it short, or need the mental discipline to complete my planned route. But some days, you find that jump that tells you that there's plenty of fuel in the tank. Saturday was one of those days. A day when even a heavy bike feels like an 18 pound tweaked out road racer. There's a lightness in your legs and seemingly boundless energy that just feels like it's been waiting all week to be unleashed.

My Saturday ride accomplished my three primary goals:
  1. Get out and ride somewhere;
  2. Go a reasonable distance; and
  3. Not die.
Now that I've succeded in these three, it's time to set some new goals for the season.

-Sean-

No comments: