07 June, 2011

Utility Stick

My new streamer rig is turning out to be a great utility player. It's a Scott A3 907/4 rod with a Ross Evolution LT 4 reel. Fortunately I picked up two spare spools (for a total of 3) that have added greatly to its utility.

Spool one has an older Rio 200 grain sink tip, primarily for stripping streamers for trout. Spool number two has a Rio Outbound short with an intermediate tip for flinging crayfish and other streamer patterns to smallmouth on the Huron and other rivers with less abrupt holes. Finally, I think today I've decided that the third spool will be getting a floating line for bass poppers and possibly if I get out to chase carp. Most likely a Rio Gold in 7-weight. 

Considering that I initally invested in this rig primarily for trout streamers, I couldn't be happier about its newfound versatility. I think I'll be fishing this stick often! It's nice when you make a purchase that proves to be such a solid utility player in the quiver!

-Sean-

No comments: