25 July, 2011

One for Fun

Rode ten miles at Island Lakes Recreation Area yesterday on the mountain bike. Had several of those moments that reminded my why I love Project SingleSpeed. When you ride a single speed, you get passed. Frequently, especially on climbs. So you're alert to a rider behind you who wants to get by. Several times I was alerted to this by the "click-click-CLANG-thunk" of gear changes.

This simplicity is what inspired this endeavor initially. With my bike, there's no need to think about what gear you're in - because you're in the ONLY gear! But also, the total quiet that comes from a single-speed hardtail bike. It very much appeals to me - very Zen.

Also, heard a couple of bikes that clearly needed some tuning. Missed shifts. Ungraceful transitions. When there's no derailleur, there's considerably less chaos and less to keep in adjustment. Plus, my now-bulletproof drivetrain (thanks to Josh for the Profiles) mean I can just grunt it up that hill. No chain skipping, or other nasty surprises. 

Sweet ride. Super happy.

-Sean-

No comments: