29 July, 2011

Tying Space Upgrade

I have a pretty sweet fly tying space - actually it doubles as my home office. Looks out over woods, cool old Craftsman style desk, etc. As luck would have it some old stereo components also occupy this space, so I have some nice tunes. Tying in the evening while listening to music is an incredible way to chill out. At the heart of this system is an original NAD 3020 amplifier - a legendary piece of gear known for its smooth, musical sound. I usually drive it with my iPod Classic. But what's been lacking are decent speakers. I've been using some Utah Acoustics speakers that I rebuilt in HIGH SCHOOL (oooh, that's old...). Their sound is pretty underwhelming.

I'm a big fan of Klipsch speakers, especially the KG series. I have KG1's in my family room with a KSW 15" 500w subwoofer. And a pair of KG .5's in my kitchen. I always wanted a pair of Klipsch KG2's, but never really had a good space for them. This looked like the perfect opportunity and a review of eBay showed some nice examples for $100 or less. After losing a couple of auctions, I was able to score a pair in very nice condition. Fortunately the sell shipped them pretty quickly as I was pretty eager by now.

In a word -- Wow!

Despite being early 90's vintage, the KG2's sound outstanding. Warm mids, great bass, and clear crisp highs. Truly a significant (and cheap) upgrade for my tying/office space. Was tying up some oddball sorta' Clouser's to throw at trout last night and had on some nice, rich Great Lake Swimmers that sounded wonderful!

Of course, any upgrade always seems to incite more. Plans are underway to add surround sound in the family room, so a new receiver will be required. This will free up my Creek 4240 integrated amp to join the KG2's upstairs. I expect the resulting sound to be brilliant.

As you may have guessed, in addition to a myriad of outdoor pursuits, I love music and once upon a time was a bit of an audiophile.

-Sean-

No comments: