01 August, 2011

Product Review: Scott A3 854-4 Fly Rod

I'll mix it up this time and skip right to the end, then explain...

I love this stick! If a 4-weight fits your need list, add this one to your quiver.

OK, now that I've gotten the exuberance in up-front, let me tell you more. After a few outings with tiny dries on my Scott A2 906-4 I felt the bug for some lighter tackle bite. Since the Scott A3 series has become my default setting, that's where I decided to start. I had the opportunity to cast both the 8'6" and the 9' versions, before choosing the former. I paired the new rod with a Ross CLA 1.5 and Rio Selective Trout LT fly line.

This weekend I slipped north to investigate the upper stretches of the Manistee River. This time of year, it's hoppers and teeny tiny tricos. Perfect -- let the 6 weight handle the big bugs and the 4 weight to for small stuff.

Casting a rod in your backyard is somehow totally different than casting it out on the river. From the first cast, I found this a magic stick. Distance and accuracy were non-issues. And presentation was always ever-so-delicate. And the light weight made casting comfortable and kept my form in-check. Quickly I was able to entice a nice brookie and a small brown to accept a pile of feathers and fur as food.

I was also very happy with the pairing of rod and line (thanks to Mike Schultz for his help in getting that right). This now-discontinued line from Rio was just right with this rod. It balanced casting power with a smooth, delicate presentation.

In short, buy one. You won't regret it.

As an end note, I'm looking forward to pressing this rod into duty as my bluegill/panfish rod. Picked up a Ross Evolution LT 1.5 and a Rio Clouser for it. Should be many hours of fun!

-Sean-

No comments: