05 August, 2011

Adventure on River X

Normally I've not been a big advocate of the "secret fishing spot" that many fisherman pride themselves on. Readers of this blog have seen posts on the AuSable, Pere Marquette, and other well-known rivers. These rivers have been made famous in magazines, TV and other media. My blog mention isn't going to lead to crowding. But now I've found my secret spot.

Took a drive into Northern Michigan last weekend to fish a piece of water that's been recommended to me for a while. After visiting, I wonder why it took me so long. Found a great campground, right on the banks and got my tent set-up. What I found was some phenomenal water! Beautiful surroundings, great fishing, easy wading. But best of all - no crowds! I fished two days on this piece of water and never saw another fisherman! In Michigan's Lower Peninsula, this is a rare occurrence. The 90+ degree daytime temps probably kept a few away, but this was far from a crowded river.

On Sunday I hitched a ride with a guide buddy for a short float. What a great chance to see even more great water (with easy walk-in access throughout)!  I also got to brush up on my dry fly skills casting to the sweet spot, and learned the art of the SLOOOOOOOW hook set that scored me far more fish once I figured it out.

So there it is. I found my own sweet water. Sorry, can't tell you where it is. Go find your own!   ;)

-Sean-

No comments: