11 July, 2011

Simple Pleasures

Just spent a very fun weekend with friends on Lake Isabella, outside Mt. Pleasant. One of the highlights of the weekend for me was sitting on the front of the boat in the evening hooking an endless stream of bluegills.

As a kid, I spent many hours sitting on a dock someplace in Michigan chasing bluegills, sunfish, and rock bass. So this was a welcome return to childhood.

My 7 wt. Scott A3 with a Rio Clouser was a bit much for chucking tiny poppers, but I certainly didn't lack for distance casting! Took my a few minutes to find my groove. Meanwhile, my buddy Brian's already had three on with crawlers. But once I figured it out, BAM, pretty much a fish on every third cast. The rhythym was very cool. Cast, let it settle, twitch, twitch, strip, twitch, twitch. Somewhere during the twitch sequence was where I hit most of them.

An incredibly pleasant way to pass an evening. Best of all -- a cooler full of cold beer at my elbow!

-Sean-

No comments: