12 September, 2011

Boss Ross

My new Ross Evolution LT 2 reel showed up today. Holy sweetness!!!!

Regular readers will know I'm a big Ross fan with a couple of Momentums, 3 CLA's, and now two Evolutions. My first Evo was a 4 size for my Scott A3 7 weight streamer/big bug stick. I've quickly become a big fan of that reel, so when I decided to add some jewelry to my A3 4 weight, an Evo was the logical choice. I love the unique Ross colors (although oddly, I only own black, and one champagne) and the Evo's green is too cool, so that's what I had to get!

These reels are truly impressive. Super-light for their rating, and with a fit-and-finish more like a fine watch than a fly reel. On the smaller #2 size, it's even more impressive. Can't wait to get this one lined up and out on the water.

However, I now have a choice to make. My original plan was to line this up with a 4 weight Rio Clouser line for popping bluegills and other panfish. But now that I have it, I'm wondering if it isn't TOO big pimpin' for gills. Might be more appropriate on a trout set-up. Or maybe that's a snobby perspective.

I've learned in the past year that high-end reels with fancy drag systems are really overkill for most trout, smallmouth, and certainly bluegills. In most cases you're stripping them in by hand anyway.

The appeal of a high-end reel for less demanding species is similar to the aforementioned fine watch, luxury car, good knife, or other similar niceties. Great reels just feel cool and somehow give a little more juice when you're fishing them. Sure, on my steelhead rigs, I need that bulletproof drag systems and durable finish. But why not have that when hitting on the smallmouth, too?

-Sean-

No comments: