15 September, 2011

Share the Road?

Living in a college town, I get to see more than my share of dumbass cyclist moves. We as cyclists are quick to criticize idiot drivers, but somehow we seem compelled to look the other way when one of our bretheren does something foolish. I know a lot of drivers who are highly annoyed at cyclists, and it's my opinion that a surprisingly small pool of morons makes the rest of us who are responsible get a bad name.

Example One
Car stopped to make a left turn. Car behind moves to go around. Meanwhile idiot student on bike speeding along not watching tries to pass second car on right. Nearly gets hit and shoots the driver the bird. I was always taught to behave just like any other vehicle when on a bike. That means, traffic stops, you do too. At a minimum, when riding in an urban setting - pay more attention!

Example Two
I'm stopped at a light. Light turns green. As I proceed into the intersection, here comes an idiot on a bike, speeding down the hill, swerves into the left turn lane to go around me, then abruptly swerves in front of me in the straight lane. Hey, dumbass, if I accelerate more quickly than you anticipated, you're road pizza.

Common sense - it's a gift, not a given.

-Sean-

No comments: