16 September, 2011

Reel Lust

OK, we're pretty much looooong past the point of need in terms of sticks and reels. But recently I've discovered The Spey Company and their super-sweet classic spey reels. Wow are these things cool! They look so classic and well-executed. Just what my Scott ARC 1187-3 needs. Classic action rod, with ultra-classic reel!

Which brings up an interesting element of fly fishing. The reel-rod matchup. Yeah, there's the balance issue every book and magazine article talks about, but on an aesthetic, soulful level, it's so much more than that. I think good fly rods and reels have a persona that goes beyond just graphite and metal. It's way more than a product spec sheet could ever convey. Good gear speaks for itself in a unique way. On some basic level that you could never quantify, a Scott rod and a Winston rod are so incredibly different. Just like a Hatch reel is a totally different beast from an Orvis.

And beyond this, these pieces of gear say something about the owner, too. I think that's a part of what makes the brands sticky. I have friends who are incredibly loyal to Orvis. I have one Orvis reel I really do like, but it's not a brand that's stuck with me. Whereas Scott rods have become my standard. I love the performance, but there's something about fishing a Scott. In my mind it says "high performance, but not fussy".

For now, my spey rod will have to be content with a Ross CLA 6 (a fine reel in it's own right). But someday...

-Sean-

No comments: