11 October, 2011

Product Review: Simms Dry Creek Rolltop Backpack

Just back from 6 days of chasing trout in SW Montana. Lots of stories to tell, observations to share, and lessons learned. But first, a product review...

While packing for the trip I decided that a good waterproof bag for use in the boat would be a wise investment. I have an older Orvis Safe Passage backpack. While it's a great product, it's not even remotely weatherproof. Backpacks have proven a very convenient solution as a carry-on for the flight. And a waterproof backpack is easy to throw in the boat.

A visit to a local shop turned up a model by Patagonia as well as one from Sage. Both too pricey. I can't justify over $200 just for a bag. The Simms Dry Creek Daypack was initially intriguing, but ultimately I don't feel like it's large enough for my intended use. While it may be a fine hike/fish solution, it won't hold my small camera bag, a rainjacke, an extra layer or two, and the other gear I'd want for a day fishing from a boat.

Enter the Simms Dry Creek Rolltop Backpack.  Just like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, this one is JUST right! Not the mammoth Guide size, nor as tiny as the Daypack. A waterproof exterior pocket affords easy access to frequently used items. The simple rolltop provides a simple, leakproof solution that won't fail like a zipper can.

After a week bouncing around in drift boats in the rain and wind the contents of this excellent bag were dry and protected. And I could readily get my DSLR with two lenses, a couple of spare spools, a rain jacket, a spare fleece and more in with room to spare.

So, if you need a well-made, waterproof, durable bag that's easy to transport, I highly recommend this excellent piece of gear.

-Sean-

No comments: