29 September, 2011

Product Review: Remington Versa Max

Now that I've had my Remington Versa Max for a few months, I feel like it's time to share some of my experiences. As I acquired this gun in the Spring, I've not had the chance to hunt with it yet. Thus far my experiences have been with sporting clays.

First a word about my goals for this gun. My goal was an all-around gun that would perform many tasks well. I wanted to be able to shoot clays with light target loads, 3-1/2" steel for waterfowl, and #6 game loads for rabbits and pheasants. In short, a Swiss Army Knife of guns. One that I could shoot often enough to find a reliable mount and get comfortable with the results. Initially I lusted for an over-under, but I quickly realized that a synthetic autoloader was far more likely to suit my needs.

All new guns get a tear-down, a thorough scrub to eliminate the factory lube/protectant, and a re-lube with appropriate gun oil and grease at key points. I've found this step both helps with performance/reliability and gives me some insight into how this particular firearm operates. The Versa Max is impressive in this regard; the mechanical design is simple and logical. Everything strips down easily and mostly without tools. And it all goes back together without holding the stock at a 15 degree angle while holding down this tang, pushing up on that knob and being done only under a full moon. the Try-Nite coated barrel and nickel-teflon plated internal components mean a long life in the worst conditions.

But will that dog hunt? In a word - YUP! First day out for clays I found a gun that mounts cleanly and consistently. Butt end of the stock hits the shoulder pocket consistently and my cheek's right where it should be. As all good shotguns should, it shoots where you point it. And yes, I've had some that don't...

Surprisingly, despite the 8# total weight the Versa Max feels far more nimble than expected for a gun that seems to have been designed principally for waterfowl. I'm eager to try it for upland hunting this Fall. A day of brush busting for grouse should tell if this early impression holds.

If this all sounds overwhelmingly positive, that's because it is. I've had the opportunity to handle and shoot competitive offerings and all had some significant concerns for me - whether ergonomics, design, or features.

However, I do have two issues with the Versa Max. The first is probably a matter of personal preference. The fore-end is a free floating design.  I expect that with pump-action shotguns, but it's my first experience with an autoloader. I can't find any drawback to it, I'm just not used to how it feels. Time should cure that.

The second was a design flaw which Remington quickly rectified. On more first outings I found the magazine nut loosening after a half-dozen or so rounds. I needed to give it a half-turn or more after each stand. This was both annoying and looked like a great opportunity to loose some parts in the field. After contacting Remington, they sent me a new retainer nut and magazine cap. The results were immediate and obvious -- problem solved! The reality of new products is that design issues happen. What separates the good companies from the mediocre is how they address known issues. Remington responded quickly and solved my issue completely. Can't ask for more than that.

Look for a more extensive review later this year when I've had the opportunity to get the Versa Max out in the field chasing rabbits, pheasants, and other small game. If you're looking for a solid autoloader, the Versa Max should be a serious consideration.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your review 101 %! I just bought one of these a week ago and so far I've shoot around 500 rounds with no misfires nor jamming. By the way I have shoot 2 3/4, 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 shot loads! I have heard a lot of negative comments about this model but I have one advice to all haters: go shoot one and then comment later folks...:-))) peace

Anonymous said...

I agree with your review 101 %! I just bought one of these a week ago and so far I've shoot around 500 rounds with no misfires nor jamming. By the way I have shoot 2 3/4, 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 shot loads! I have heard a lot of negative comments about this model but I have one advice to all haters: go shoot one and then comment later folks...:-))) peace

Sean Hickey said...

Interesting -- I've actually not read any negative reviews. The only thing I've seen is some who complain that it's heavy.

Unknown said...

First of all, I am a big fan of Remington guns. I have not had any problems until now, but these are major problems that paying customers need to know about. I purchased my new Remington Versa Max 28’’ barrel in MODB. I thought this would be a great shotgun after reading all of the reviews and reading Remington’s ads. I will tell you my pros and cons with this gun and then a short story on how the Versa Max failed after 1 box of rounds through it and the customer service that I received.
Pros in a nut shell: Great feel, rubber grips, TriNyte finished barrel and nickel/Teflon plated internal components for extreme corrosion resistance, Hi-Viz end sights, comes with nice case, supposed to shoot any load without fail, mostly good reviews
Cons in a nut shell: It is heavy, the back end of the fore-end moves up and down even with the magazine cap fully tightened down, the bolt handle literally fell off into my hand after shooting less than 1 box of shells, the extractor sheared off causing this gun to become a single shot shotgun after 1 box of rounds
Here is my story. I got the Versa Max on Friday 11/30/12. That night I took it apart, cleaned it, and assembled it. When the barrel is removed, there is no play in the fore-end. (PROBLEM #1) When the barrel is installed, the back part of the fore-end moves up and down even with the magazine cap fully tightened down. I went duck hunting the next morning. (PROBLEM #2) During the hunt the bolt handle literally fell off into my hand. I was in waist high water and this piece could have easily been dropped into the water and lost. For those who have not taken one of these guns apart yet, the bolt handle comes off and installs with some force by pulling or pushing. There is a notch in the handle that locks the handle into the bolt assembly and keeps it installed. This piece was fully inserted when I started the hunt. To make sure that I did not lose bolt handle, I kept it in the boat and grabbed it from the boat when I needed to use it. (PROBLEM #3) Shortly into the hunt, this Brand New Remington Versa Max Jammed Every Single Round! At this point I only shot 1 single box of Remington Hyper Sonic 12Ga 3” #2 shot rounds through this brand new shotgun. The extractor sheared off and was completely flush with the bolt head. I am in the middle of my first hunt with this shotgun and the fore end is loose, the bolt handle is in the boat, and my Versa Max shotgun is now a single shot shotgun. I am furious with Remington and the Versa Max.
That Monday morning 12/3/12, I called Remington and told them what had happened. All they said is “OK” and to send it back to the factory via UPS standard ground. The instructions Remington sent me to return the Versa Max said that “our returns process will take approximately 2-3 weeks to complete and a confirmation email will be sent once we have shipped your firearm.” I can’t wait 2-3 weeks! I talked with Remington because I already have a hunting trip planned before 2 weeks and that I need this shotgun to be sent overnight both ways because I already have money invested into this hunting trip. Remington told me that I could pay to overnight the gun, but Remington does not reimburse hunting trips and will not pay to have the gun sent overnight. I do not expect Remington to reimburse me for the hunting trip, but I do expect Remington to do something to make up for this failed gun. This is Remington’s fault and they should pay to get this fix expedited. Not only am I missing out on a big hunting trip, I am also missing out on a lot of local hunting.
I am highly disappointed in Remington’s customer service and the Versa Max. My hunting partner that was with me is about to buy a new 3 ½ “ shotgun and was leaning toward the Versa Max, but after seeing what happened with mine he said that there is no way that he would buy one now.

Anonymous said...

sounds like you didn't install the bolt handle back in all the way. When you push it in with your hand it feels like it goes into place, but I actually had to tap mine with a hammer to seat it in all the way. I would tend to assume the rest of your problems came because you didn't have the bolt handle in correctly.

Sean Hickey said...

I would second that as the issue. I found a very distinct engagement point when inserting the bolt handle after which it all seemed more rigid.

Gun said...

Really interesting, Always a fan of Remington stuff.

Anonymous said...

Brian Caldon has posted his "story" on just about every review I have read about the Versa Max.
MOVE ON DUDE!!! You had a bad experience... change your tampon and get on with your life!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with that comment on changing your tampon. I have 3 remingtons and haven't had any issues

Clay said...

This past Monday, at a clays tourney, I had my first negative experience with my Versa Max...i have owned this gun for 2 1/2 years. My son and I have run ALOT of ammo through this auot loader, without a glitch for that 2 1/2 yrs., including "light" terget loads up to this past springs snow goose hunt in Canada, bruising my shoulder with the 3 1/2" BB loads we used. this gun has been a very pleasant experience so much so, a couple of buddies shot it and went and got their own. I mentor kids for waterfowl and maturity up here in Green Bay, and am presently in the midst of acquiring two more for the purpose of the good dependability I can expect for these kids to experience as I have.