28 September, 2011

Poetic License

Hopped online today and picked up a 10-day Montana fishing license. I love adding a new license to my wallet. It's sort of like those RVs you see with the US map and all the states they've visited marked. Plus, it's a great reminder of some fantastic outdoor experiences.

Like my first time duck hunting on Walpole Island in Canada. Just the obtaining the license was a comedy of errors - from the First Nation guide who no-showed and sent his kid instead to the bait shop we bought our license in that looked like something straight out of Red Green. But the hunt was fun and memorable. The speed the ducks came in at, the challenge of picking one up and following it until the time was right, and all the useful things I learned from my buddy Dan.

Or my Ohio fishing license. My first time walking the spate rivers of NE Ohio that are so unlike anything in Michigan. Beautiful scenery, often in the shadow of an industrial downtown. Despite tough conditions (a 20 degree temperature drop) Mike and I scored well with many hook-ups and several landed. Best of all, I learned so much about fishing this region and the techniques that work.

Every license tells a story and brings a wealth of reminders of enjoying the outdoors - both with my friends and solo. Can't wait to add more!

-Sean-

No comments: