21 October, 2011

Simms Windstopper Hoody - Follow-Up Review

After a week in Montana, this jacket REALLY proved it's worth, so I thought a follow-up review was in order.

Fly fishing in the Fall really puts outdoor gear to the test. You never know what you're going to encounter - high winds, bone-chilling temps, rain, even snow. A jacket that's durable and versatile can make the difference between toasty and miserable.

The Simms Windstopper Softshell Hoody handles it all. For as lightweight as it feels, it's surprisingly warm. And the Gore-Tex Windstopper lives up to it's name; stops even high Western winds dead in their tracks. Surprisingly, it also seems to breathe better than other windproof fleeces I own. Credit the Gore-Tex materials, I suppose.

Our last day was a perfect example of the effectiveness of this garment. 45 degrees, 20 mph winds with gusts over 30, and intermittent rainshowers. Although I had my Simms G4 rain jacket in my bag, I never even bothered to take it out. The Windstopper Softshell Hoody kept me warm and dry all day.

One thing I love about Simms garments universally is the cut. Obviously this is a company of fly fishing fanatics who make gear for fly fishing fanatics. And this jacket is no exception. It's got movement you need for casting, reach mends, and landing fish, without being baggy.

If you fish in cooler conditions, you need one of these. Whether you think you do or not. Kudos to Simms for a great product.

-Sean-

2 comments:

Unknown said...

good review. how's the hood ? does it reach out enough to stop rain ?
i just ordered the same one

Sean Hickey said...

Hood is probably the best part. As with all Simms gear, it fits close to your head and doesn't obstruct your vision. Bill is just long enough to keep most of the rain off your face. This is one of my primary pieces of gear. You won't be disappointed!