29 November, 2011

Choke Artist

With the new Remington Versa Max shotgun, I've been discovering the wonderful world of interchangeable choke tubes and their effect on shot patterning. While I'd settled on Improved Cylinder for sporting clays, most of my recent shooting has been in hunting situations. This presents some interesting challenges. For one, clays behave in a predictable way. Ducks and rabbits do not.

For now, I've settled on Improved Modified. It seems to pattern well at 35 yards, which has been good for ducks over decoys. But it's likely this weekend rabbit season will commence. So, now a new challenge - at what distance does THAT shot normally happen? Hmmmm.

These are all nice problems to have. Last year at this time I was doing most of my hunting with a Winchester 1200 that I had only the choke it came with. But it does add a degree of complexity to the whole thing.

-Sean-

No comments: