30 November, 2011

Need for Complexity?

I was reflecting with a friend over lunch about how many of my good friends are as obsessive as myself, especially regarding outdoor interests.

Several times I've told people that I prefer to fish on the fly because I need to make things as complex as possible. A wary steelhead won't think twice about striking a spawn bag -- that looks and smells like real food. But you've really got to outsmart that same fish to hit a piece of belly-button lint tied to a hook.

Same happens with my mountain bike. When I tell people I ride a single-speed with no suspension they look at me as if I have three heads. When I look inward, it DOES seem a bit odd. But I love my single and wouldn't trade it for the world.

I'm also continually tweaking my gear for that "little bit better". As I wait for the warranty replacement on my Scott 6-weight, I'm already pondering whether a nice reel than my Ross CLA would be appropriate for my all-around trout stick. Maybe a Hatch 5-Plus or a Ross Evolution... or maybe a Ross F1.All for a trout reel. I've routinely fought trout up to 20" simply by stripping them in without ever even going to the reel!

In the end, I think it comes down to a simple core part of my personality. I like a challenge with room for improvement. Even as a kid, I got bored pretty quickly. Just ask my parents about Parent-Teach Conferences. Same story every year -- "Sean's not working up to his potential". But when I am engaged by something where I can learn and grow, it fulfills me, challenges me, and just plain makes me happy. In my educational career, I proved that. Despite being a consistent lower-middle-of-the-pack-student throughout K-12, I completed a Master's degree with a 4.0 GPA - because I was engaged, challenged, and things had the complexity they needed to keep me engaged. So, in the end, I think that need for complexity is hard wired to keep me interested, motivated, and fulfilled.

-Sean-

No comments: