07 December, 2011

Product Review: Simms Windstopper Flap Cap

Everyone keep your arms and legs inside the ride, it's about to get weird...

Yes, I am going to deliver a negative review about a Simms product. I know you thought that scarcely possible, but turns out it is.

Last Winter I picked up a Simms Windstopper Flap Cap for Winter trips. A previous Simms hat had become a favorite, but it was looking pretty worn.

Initial impression was good. Fit well. Warm. Very windproof. As-advertised. But they missed on critical detail. I can't hear ANYTHING with it on. First day I wore it I'm out on Jon Ray's boat with my Dad. Jon offers me some instruction and all I get are lips moving. No sound. Nada. And I hadn't thrown a backup in my bag, so I spent a very quiet day.

I suppose that if you always fish by yourself and want complete solitude, this is one route to that. But if you fish with anyone, you'll never hear them. Plus, I like to be able to count on all five sense in the outdoors and this hat eliminates one of them!

So, note to the excellent folks at Simms - I wasted my money on this one! Should have picked up the Chunk Knit Beanie. As a general rule, I'm not that wild about Windstopper hats. Better to stick with a simplek, densely knit one (my Ibex wool beanie is AWESOME), especially if you want to hear anything.

-Sean-

No comments: