14 December, 2011

Rites of Passage

Was thinking the other day about some of the cool outdoor things I've been fortunate enough to do in the past few years. This got me thinking about "rites of passage" -- that is, those achievements that make you feel like you've arrived at the next level. For me, a few include:
  1. Catching my first steelhead solo; without a guide's help.
  2. Skiing my first Western black diamond run.
  3. Shooting my first pheasant.
  4. Powdering my first clay with a shotgun.
  5. Catching a fish on a fly I tied.
  6. Getting a steelhead on the swing.
  7. My first outing with a guide where the guide mostly worked with the other guy; making it clear they could tell I needed the help less.
  8. Performing a complete tear-down on a shotgun by myself and having it all go back together smoothly.
  9. Landing a steelhead unassisted.
  10. Inventing my first fly pattern; and then having it catch fish!
Every one of these events made me feel a profound sense of pride. Some of my love of the outdoors comes in opportunities for growth and mastery. Learning something new feels like such an accomplishment. But you'll never know everything, so those moments when you recognize advancement feel truly special.

Happy trails!

-Sean-

No comments: